Mushroom and Lentil Ragu
This mushroom and lentil ragu is a delicious, cheap vegan alternative to a traditional bolognaise. Two out of 3 of my kids say they actually prefer this! Use gluten free pasta if necessary.
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onion peeled & chopped, organic
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & crushed, organic
- 600 g mushrooms washed & diced, organic
- 2 tsp oregano chopped, organic
- 700 g passata organic
- 250 g dried red lentils organic
- 200 ml vegetable stock organic
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce organic
- 4 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 dash black pepper organic,fairtrade
- 1 dash salt
- 360 g dried spaghetti organic
- 25 g parmesan cheese organic, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or oven proof casserole dish over a medium heat and fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and oregano and fry for a further 3 minutes
- Add the passata and lentils and stir together
- Add the hot vegetable stock, worcestshire sauce, most of the fresh basil, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, cook in the over at 180°C/360°F/gas mark 4 for 30 minutes
- 15 minutes before eating, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti as per the packet instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti and serve with the ragu spooned over the top and a sprinkling of the remaining basil and the parmesan cheese.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? This ragu can be prepared ahead of time and re-heated. Cook the spaghetti as you need it. The ragu can be frozen for 6 months.
Calories: 736kcalCarbohydrates: 132gProtein: 38gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 461mgPotassium: 2182mgFiber: 28gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 1422IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 209mgIron: 11mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!