Tuna Pasta Bake
A family favourite. Tuna pasta bake is great as it uses ‘store cupboard ingredients’ which is a nicer way of saying tins and packets. Very useful if your kids have been off sick and you’ve not been able to leave the house. This version uses a tomato base rather than a white sauce base, because it’s quicker, which is why I like it. It can be prepared in advance and kept covered in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- 400 g pasta shapes organic
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onion organic, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 800 g tinned chopped tomatoes organic
- 100 g soft cream cheese organic, (optional)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 370 g tinned tuna organic, in spring water, drained
- 50 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- 300 g peas organic or other green seasonal vegetables
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C/350⁰F/gas mark 4
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water as per the packet instructions, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic for the last 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir in the cream cheese (optional). Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the tuna and pasta to the pan and stir until the pasta is well coated with the sauce.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. If you are in a real hurry, just put it under the grill for 5 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
- Steam or boil the green vegetable until cooked and serve together.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared in advance and cooked when ready. Allow an extra 5 minutes if cooking straight from the fridge. Alternatively, a portion can be re-heated later on.
Calories: 418kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 37gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 397mgPotassium: 1164mgFiber: 8gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 2350IUVitamin C: 80.9mgCalcium: 120mgIron: 3.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!