This is a simple version of a Hungarian Bean Goulash. Serve it with crusty bread or rice if you are pushed for time, but if not, it's lovely with baked potato. It can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for 2 days. It also freezes well. If you are cooking it for freezing, just stir in the beans but don't cook them any further as freezing softens the beans slightly. Just de-frost and re-heat the dish when you are ready.
- 4 baking potatoes organic or crusty bread or rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 red onions organic, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic organic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp sweet smoked paprika fairtrade
- 800 g chopped tomatoes organic, use tinned
- 400 ml vegetable stock organic
- 1 tbsp brown sugar organic, fairtrade
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 1 dash salt
- 800 g mixed beans organic, fairtrade, tinned, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley organic, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- 4 tbsp fat free soured cream organic to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Wash the potatoes, dry and prick several times with a fork. Rub a little olive oil over them and cook in the oven for about 1 hour, until the potato is soft.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute then stir in the sweet smoked paprika for 1 minute. Be careful not to leave the paprika any longer as over cooking can make it taste bitter.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the mixed beans and cook for 2 minutes until the beans are heated through.
- Serve with the baked potatoes or crusty bread or rice and a tablespoon of soured cream on top of the goulash. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Not all eating at the same time or in a hurry? The bean goulash can be prepared in advance and re-heated. This dish can be frozen for 2 - 3 months
Calories: 498kcalCarbohydrates: 83gProtein: 17gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 578mgPotassium: 739mgFiber: 17gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 6250IUVitamin C: 112.2mgCalcium: 140mgIron: 6.7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!