One pot Mushroom and Lentil Ragu in a great Vegan alternative to a traditional bolognaise. I had a version of this is a cafe a few years ago and my husband and I scribbled down what we thought the ingredients were. This is what I've come up with. A healthy filling Vegan ragu that goes perfectly with any pasta. I love meals that can all be cooked in one pot. You can simmer this on the hob, or if you need to go out, just pop it in the oven with a lid on. The other bonus is that this is a very cheap dish to make.
Red lentils are very easy to use as you don't need to soak them before hand. You can prepare this ahead of time if you need to and then re-heat it. I would always try to cook the pasta fresh if possible. If you do need to cook some pasta ahead of time, place it back in boiling water for a minute. Don't overdo it or the pasta will go soggy.
If you're looking to add some 'meat free dishes' to your diet, this Mushroom and Lentil Ragu is a great option. All the ingredients are available organic. Try to buy the vegetables loose if possible to minimise packaging. Shopping local and buying locally grown produce will reduce the carbon footprint and help support the local economy.
You can store this sauce in the fridge for 3-4 days and freeze it for up to 6 months. Remember, cooked pasta can also be frozen if you cook too much. Rinse it with cold water to prevent ot sticking and freeze in portion sizes. For more tips on freezer storage, click here.
Mushroom and Lentil Ragu
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onion peeled & chopped, organic
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & crushed, organic
- 600 g mushrooms washed & diced, organic
- 2 tsp oregano chopped, organic
- 700 g passata organic
- 250 g dried red lentils organic
- 200 ml vegetable stock organic
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce organic
- 4 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 dash black pepper organic,fairtrade
- 1 dash salt
- 360 g dried spaghetti organic
- 25 g parmesan cheese organic, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or oven proof casserole dish over a medium heat and fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and oregano and fry for a further 3 minutes
- Add the passata and lentils and stir together
- Add the hot vegetable stock, worcestshire sauce, most of the fresh basil, stir and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, cook in the over at 180°C/360°F/gas mark 4 for 30 minutes
- 15 minutes before eating, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti as per the packet instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti and serve with the ragu spooned over the top and a sprinkling of the remaining basil and the parmesan cheese.