This Simple Creamy Prawn Pea and Lemon Risotto is full of fresh flavours and perfect for Spring or Summer. That said, it's also become one of our 'Lockdown Recipes' previously known as 'Storecupboard Staples'. The prawns and peas can be bought frozen so kept in the freezer 'just in case'. If you don't have fresh lemons in a lockdown situation, you can substitute bottled lemon juice. Find more 'Lockdown Recipe' ideas here
Back to the recipe. Prawns and peas go very well together as they both have a slight sweetness. The lemons contrast with this and give it a really fresh flavour. Risotto can sometimes be tricky to do when you've lots of distractions so in this recipe, there is minimal stirring. It still tastes great, but you get some breathing space. Of course, if you prefer, you can still add the stock gradually, stirring all the time. Some people find this quite soothing. Finally, it's important to let any risotto 'rest' for 2 - 5 minutes in the final stage. This helps the risotto to 'set' and the flavours to infuse a little, so don't be tempted to skip this bit.
Buy prawns that carry the MSC Blue label to certify that they are from sustainable sources. Buying fish and shellfish from sustainable sources is important as it means that fish stocks are not overfished and remain healthy. it also means that fish has been caught in a way that is not damaging to the marine environment so that other species and habitats within the ecosystem remain healthy. For more information on what the MSC logo stands for, click here.
A risotto is best eaten as soon as it is cooked. As it contains fish, you can store this prawn pea and lemon risotto in the fridge for just 1 -2 days. Make sure when you re -heat it that it is piping hot. You may also need to add a little extra stock to loosen it. A risotto unfortunately doesn't freeze well as the texture of the rice goes hard and grainy.
Simple Creamy Prawn Pea and Lemon Risotto
- 20 g butter organic
- 1 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 400 g arborio rice organic
- 150 ml vermouth or white wine organic, fairtrade
- 400 g prawns MSC certified
- 200 g frozen peas organic
- 1 litre fish stock or vegetable stock
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 2 lemons organic, fairtrade, juice and zest of
- 40 g Parmesan cheese organic, grated
- 20 g fresh parsley organic, chopped
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and when it is bubbling, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir it around so it is well coated in the butter. Fry for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine or vermouth and stir until it has all evaporated.
- Add the prawns and peas then pour in the stock and season with salt and black pepper. Give it all a gentle stir.
- Bring the pan to simmer then cover with a tight fitting lid and turn the heat down low. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes until the rice is softened, stirring occasionally.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the lemon juice, half the zest and the parmesan. Let it rest for 2 - 5 minutes to allow it to go creamy.
- Serve with the parsley and lemon zest sprinkled over the top.